Tel Aviv and its Palestinian Localities
These are the Palestinian localities in the territory of Tel Aviv today. You can't find informations about them in the city or in actual maps. They are the erased history of the white and first Hebrew city.
Scroll down for informations about them.
Click on the map to enlarge it.
2240 people were living in the village until it was occupied in March 30, 1948. The first records of it date back to 1799. In early 1948 Zionists forces cut off roads access around the village and made it impossible to get food supply and going out to work. A military pressure became stronger too and the villagers had no substantial defense. They left out of fear to be attacked. The cemetery of the village remained but there’s no access to it due to security reasons. The house of the mukhtar Ibrahim Abu Kheel turned into Tel Aviv University Faculty Club and restaurant. The size of the village’s land was 15,972 dunam. The 2019 Eurovision Song Contest will take place on the land (named a-Za’afranat) of the village.
1250 people lived in the village until they were displaced in January 1, 1948. Its land size was 1,365 dunam. The children went to school in Shaykh Muwannis. After the Palestinians were expelled, the Israeli authorities inhabited the houses with Jews, mostly from Arab countries, in order to prevent the return of the refugees. Few years later started a struggle to evacuate those Jewish families for big building plans. The struggle continues in 2019.
990 people lived in Summayl until it was displaced in December 25, 1947, the first Palestinian village to be evacuated. It was repopulated by Jews, most of them from Arab origin, with the permission of the authorities. Few years later they were asked to move out without real compensation. They refused so it turned to a violent and legal struggle that continues until today.
The village was established at the estuary of al-’Auja River (named Hayarkon in Israel) by Abu Jbara beduin family in the middle of the 19th century. In 2010, after a long legal struggle, Tel Aviv Municipality evacuated the last resident of the village, Reuven Mizrahi. He was the son of an Arab father who converted to Judaism and married a Jewish woman.
Some 13,000 inhabitant lived in this Jaffa neighborhood, 1000 of them Jews. There were three Mukhtars (leaders), two of the Palestinians and one Jewish. It was attacked and occupied by the Irgun at the end of April 1948. All the Palestinians were expelled from it to the West Bank and Jordan. Three houses turned into a museum of the Irgun. It is one of the last remains of the Palestinian neighborhood and it’s standing in the middle of Charles Clore Park, that’s going to host the Eurovision Village in 2019.
One of several Jaffa neighborhoods that were built by Egyptians in the 1940s’ when Ibrahim Pasha was ruling the country. It was occupied by April 1948 and the Sakna (the built up area) was completely destroyed soon afterwords.
A big town where 7800 Palestinian lived until the Nakba. It was occupied in April 1948 by Alexandroni unit after a long resistance from the town fighters. Jews, most of them from Arab countries inhabited the town with the authorities permission. Few years later the authorities asked to evacuate the residents and a violent and legal struggle started and continues to these days. The mosque of the town is still standing but its doom was damaged by Jews in October 2000.
It was a small neighborhood between Manshiyya and Jaffa, right on the sea shore.