Palestinian localities destroyed from 1967 to 2016
Location on the map: O8
According to Sykes-Picot Agreement al-Hama was under the British Mandate. Following 1948 war and the new border between Israel and Syria it remained empty in a no man’s land between the two states. In 1967 Israel took over it as part of the occupation of the Golan Heights.
Location on the map: J18
Nabi Samwil was occupied by Israel in the Six-Day War in 1967. during the war the village's inhabitants had fled in fear of atrocities. In the early 1970s, the Israeli authorities declared it as an archeological site and following expelled the inhabitants from their homes. Nabi Samwil was drawn in good part within Jerusalem's municipal boundaries, while the inhabitants themselves were excluded, and its inhabitants were defined in their identity cards as West Bankers, and are prohibited by the Israeli military administration from leaving the village in any direction without authorization. Since the mid-2000s, Nabi Samwil, excluding the shrine, became part of an area known as the "Seam Zone", which denotes the land between the separation barrier and the borders of Jerusalem municipality. The only exit from the village is to nearby Bir Nabala via an Israeli checkpoint. The mosque has been cordoned off and the section containing Samuel's tomb has been converted into a synagogue. Partly due to Israeli military restrictions, Palestinian construction in the village is banned. Economic activity is also significantly restricted and residents live in poverty, with many young residents leaving for jobs in nearby Ramallah.
A movie by Eran Torbiner on Nabi Samwil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGgfNFACMVs
Jacobs, Daniel. (1998). Israel and the Palestinian territories. Rough Guides, p.429.
Tal, 2003, p. 118
Mahmoud Yazbak, 'Holy shrines (maqamat) in modern Palestine/Israel and the politics of memory,' in Marshall J. Breger,Yitzhak Reiter,Leonard Hammer (eds.), Holy Places in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Confrontation and Co-existence, Routledge 2010 pp. 231-246 p.237.
Location on the map: I7
Some tens of families lived in shacks in And a-Raml until 1967. Some of them refugees from localities Israel destroyed at the Nakba. During the war the Israeli authorities destroyed And a-Raml.
From talks with Ghauda Ghanaim and Abu Ka’id, March 2016.
Location on the map: I17
Location on the map: H18
Location on the map: I18
In Beit Nuba lived 1350 people, in ‘Imwas 2000 and in Yalu 1700. The three villages were occupied on 7 June 1967 by the Israeli army on the outbreak of the War. The army gave the inhabitants only a few hours to gather their possessions, and got them on their way to Ramallah. Soon after, the villages were bulldozed and dynamited by the Israeli army. The villagers were prevented from return and most of them are living in al-Bireh. The three villages have been completely obliterated. On and top of ‘Imwas and Yalu the JNF have built Canada Park. The settlement Mevo Horon is built on the ruins of Beit Nuba.
Personal research (De-Colonizer)
Location on the map: M14
Location on the map: I20
Location on the map: K18
On Saturday evening, 10 June 1967, three days after the Israeli army had captured the Old City of Jerusalem, residents of the Moroccan Quarter were told to vacate their homes on short notice. Workers guarded by soldiers first demolished a public lavatory, and then the remaining buildings, which included 135 houses. Some of the residents refused to leave until their homes were collapsing. The Sheikh Eid Mosque, one of the few mosques remaining from the time of Saladin was also destroyed.
In a letter to the United Nations, the Israeli government stated that the buildings were demolished after the Jordanian government had allowed the neighborhood to become a slum area. The work was done quickly in anticipation of a huge crowd of Jewish worshipers, who would be able to pray at the wall for the first time in 19 years. Lieutenant Colonel Yaakov Salman, the deputy military governor in charge of the operation, aware of possible legal trouble on account of the Geneva Convention, had brought documents from the East Jerusalem municipality testifying to the poor sanitary conditions in the neighborhood and Jordanian plans to eventually evacuate it.
Robert Schick. "Mamluk and Ottoman Jerusalem". In Gideon Avni and Katharina Galor. Unearthing Jerusalem : 150 Years of Archaeological Research in the Holy City. pp. 475–490.
T. Abowd, The Moroccan Quarter: A History of the Present, in: Jerusalem Quarterly File (Institute of Jerusalem Studies), no. 7 (2000), pp. 6–16 (retrieved October 16, 2012)
Location on the map: M11
Location on the map: J23
The Palestinian village of Susya has existed in the South Hebron Hills at least since the 1830s. Its residents have traditionally earned a living from shepherding and growing olive trees. In 1983, the Israeli settlement of Susiya was established near the village, on Palestinian land that had been declared state land by Israel. In 1986, about 25 families were living in Susya, in caves and structures. That year, the Civil Administration declared the village as an “archeological site”; the land was confiscated “for public purposes” and the Israeli military expelled its residents from their homes. Having no other option, the families relocated to other caves in the area and to flimsy wood frame shelters and tents they erected on agricultural land a few hundred meters southeast of the original village and the archeological site.
Collected by Juliana Breda (intern at De-Colonizer from FFIPP Brasil) and Eitan Bronstein Aparicio.